Main Forum

Which HOTAS to use... or is there a better alternative?

4 replies
Amitaya USC
Votes:
+775
Citizen
I'm discussing this atm with a friend.
I use the X52 Pro HOTAS. So far It's nice.
But it's also my first as I only had single Joysticks before, so I can't compare.

PS34-001-Saitek-X52-PRO-Flight-Control-System-PC-01.jpg

I heard about the Thrustmaster Warthog but read it has no rudder control and needs a additional pedals.
I know CiG wants to build some own HOTAS but that's not even close.

I heard two Joysticks would be an alternative but as a Joystick is an active cotrol while a throttle can be left alone, I'd assume two josyticks would make it harder to use multiple peripherals alongside with it (i.e. KB, Mouse, Tablets).

I know there's also the option not to use anything with a Joystick at all or on the other side even a whole gaming seat, but I don't want to discuss that here as it does not apply for me.

So the questions are:
- What's your HOTAS or single or dual Joystick setup and how well do you fare with it?
- Do you also use KB+Mouse alongside that?
- In case you have pedals: would your setup work without?
Posted Nov 23, 16 · OP
Cmd. Sim USCDF
Votes:
+29
Citizen
Defence Force
I have the warthog and it's great, very well made too. I don't have pedals at the moment but will be getting some, at the moment i use the thumb stick on the side of the throttle instead (takes a bit to get used to but its fine) I have them set up on my desk with the throttle next to the keyboard and the stick above the mouse, this is a little spread out but not uncomfortable.
Posted Nov 23, 16
List
Undo
I have plans for a HOTAS but stuck in the wallow of what to get. Would jump on the Warthog but lack of rudder control on the stick is a negative for me. Build quality is ment to be supurb but always gets back to lack of twist.

@Cmd. Sim......so you have rudder bound to your throttle? That work well?

Sorta hanging out for the SC high end HOTAS which ofcourse is no certainty with the Logitech buyout of Saitek but Im hoping it will continue and Logitech will put out a quality device. Something to finially compete with the Warthog but will be more compatible for SC with all the hats and buttons available for binding. In no rush to buy one so I have time to weigh up my best option.
Posted Nov 24, 16
List
Undo
Cmd. Sim USCDF
Votes:
+29
Citizen
Defence Force
It's not ideal and it takes a bit to get used to but it works well enough, I'll be getting rudders anyway though. As with any set up it's a matter of getting used to where you put everything, it's under my left thumb so it's easy enough to use.
Posted Nov 24, 16
List
Undo
Amitaya USC
Votes:
+775
Citizen
Is it worth upgrading from the 52 Pro though? It feels very natural navigating with it. I can't compare it with the warthog but I believe if people say it feels better (apart from the pedals).

I think I will probably wait and see if CiG comes up with a better alternative. I will definitely not use pedals. So if they're a requirement to have fun with the warthog - it's a no-go for me.

For someone who doesn't have a Joystick or HOTAS yet though, I'm still pondering if warthog or X52 Pro something else.
The X52 is bulky. The Joystick can't be simply put half under the keyboard. Switching between mouse/KB and HOTAS is always a matter of a few seconds and it all takes up space. The software of the X52 is so bad I'm not using it at all - everything would be an upgrade here.
The buttons on the Joystick look better than on the warthog - I especially love the lock on the big missle button.
Posted Nov 24, 16 · OP
NoticeNotices